Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Xul (Swe)

Previously Known as Incendium

Xul - Regie Sathanas
Drakkar Productions, 2008
Genre: Black Metal

1. Thorns of Blackness
2. Black Breed of Kingu
3. Regie Sathanas













I knew next to nothing about this band upon ordering the cassette from Drakkar.  Apparently this band was known as Incendium and I have not heard any of that music.  The last Incendium demo is the same as "Regie Sathanas" and self-released in 2007.  I assume to make people aware of the name change they decided to release this same recording under the new name.

There is one glaring problem with this tape.  There are only three songs.  Seriously I'm reviewing this in 2013 and they don't seem to have done anything at all lately.  It is high time this band put together a full length.  I would buy that thing immediately based on this demo.  

"Regie Sathanas"  is vicious and dark all the way through.  Xul definitely encompasses a true spirit of Black Metal!  The music has an earlier colder feel of Black Metal, but I still feel like I want to compare their music to earlier Watain material.  They've somehow managed to compose an album that is modern yet has the essence of having been written in the early 90's.  Personally I think this is quite impressive and I haven't heard many bands capture it so perfectly.  It seriously has close to an atmosphere generated on "De Mysteriis dom Sathanas" and I realize that's a bold statement, but this is just so well done.

For demo recording the overall production is pretty well done.  The only complaints I have are with some of the drum mixing.  I don't know if it's due to lack of microphones, but some of the drum parts are harder to hear.  Their approach with no triggering gives this demo a perfect atmosphere and feel though, so I wouldn't take that option over anything for this.  The vocals can sometimes overwhelm the mix, but it is not too much. For the most part everything is fairly well balanced and only small improvements need be made for an even better listen.

If you're a fan of Dissection, Watain, Ondskapt or anything along those lines then Xul is a must hear project. I really hope they bring out more material because whatever they're doing they're doing it right.  Now for the tough part... what song do I choose...  I'll give you a taste of the opening track!  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment